Saturday, January 10, 2015

dressember

Every day in the month of December, Maddy and I wore dresses.  Every day.  We did it for "Dressember" - an movement that seeks to raise awareness and money to bring hope and dignity to women around the world.  Specifically they have partnered with International Justice Mission to raise money in their work to help people who have be forced into sex trafficking, etc.  I had a fundraising page on their foundation site and we raised $250.  Here is what I wrote and what they write for the fundraising page:

While in Ecuador, one of the boys we worked with had his twin 14 year old sisters go missing.  It was discovered that they were abducted and forced into the sex trade.  Our coworker worked with local authorities to rescue these girls around a year an a half later.  By the time they were removed from their hell-on-earth, one was pregnant and both were in great pain and disillusion.  I can't imagine what they all went through, what was all taken from them, what they faced every day.
There are many stories like this.  In Ecuador, a girls' home has also being started, similar to the boys' home we work with.  Several of the girls had come from the sex-traffic industry.  But this is only one small place, in one small country.  And this filthy trade is everywhere.  Probably nearer than we imagine.
I have three daughters.
It is by grace alone that we were born in realtively-safe North America.
And while thousands of girls and women are affected, it is not a female only dilema.
I have a son.
Written by the people of Dressember, but agreed by me:
I'm participating in Dressember because I believe in everyday advocacy. I know my voice matters, and that I can help change the world that millions of abused women and girls wake up to every morning. Your voice matters, too, and our voices are louder together. Let's yell, let's run, let's dress for the restoration of dignity for all women. 
Help me meet my goal and create real change. Every dollar counts, and the process is fast, easy, and secure. 
You can also partner with me by sharing this page on Facebook and Twitter. Or, send an e-mail to friends you think might be interested in contributing and include a link to my page!
Thank you for locking arms with me in the fight for dignity.

At first when I told Maddy about it, she wasn't interested.  I think it was mainly the discomfort of wearing a dress in the frozen tundra that she was not excited about…. in fact, I'm pretty sure of it (especially because she basically said that - it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out why).   But with no more word from me, she heartily joined in.  I fact, she was way less moan-y than me.  She borrowed a few dresses, grabbed a few of my tights and went at 'er.
I took a few pictures of myself and posted them on Facebook to help me with the fundraising bit…. and to prove that I was actually doing it.  My posting didn't last that long, though!


It was a big relief when the month was over as I really didn't enjoy it much…. but it was a very, VERY little sacrifice especially when compared to what these women (and many young girls) go through every single day.  Horrible, horrible things.
I'm already anticipating doing it next year and hope that maybe more people will get involved and more money can be raised to stop these horrible atrocities.

No comments:

Post a Comment