Monday, July 20, 2015

grad prep

Sometimes the line between wisdom and folly seems very blurred, very narrow.  That would be the case with deciding to join the parent committee for grad.  I was pretty excited about it and for the most part enjoyed the whole thing - met some wonderful people, got to have a creative outlet, good things like that.  The bad things I won't bother going in to....  it is best to leave it unstated, especially publicly!
Mainly the committee was in charge of planning what they call prom (but really isn't a prom - at least not what an American prom is like - where prom probably started).  It was a "safe grad" event which meant that it was highly regulated and there were a lot of guidelines to follow - in order to protect against drugs, drunk driving and other destructive type things.  It was also highly regulated as far as the decorating was concerned, but that was just because of a persnickety venue.  Many limitations - but that's all good.  I like a good challenge.
Some of the larger work was done white-trash style on our front yard, since our backyard was a big torn-up mud pit.  I'm not sure the neighbours enjoyed it, but it certain raised their curiosity!  One of them did end up coming out and asking me what in the world I was doing.  You'll see the results later....

All the various parts of the committee were supposed to have subcommittees but I only had one person sign up (and no, they didn't know it was me who was doing it, so that didn't stop anyone!!).  And then another person volunteered later.  But they both ended up flaking, so I was on my own.  Thankfully I have a great family!
Glenda and the girls and my girls and I worked on making the decorations for the centrepieces.  Decoupaging maps on to numbers (2015) and cans (for vases).  It was fun doing it together, plus I would have been up a creek without them.  There is no way I would have finished!





Maddy helped some as well, but had quite a bit of studying to do as well.  She wasn't all that thrilled with me taking pictures....
Here is the end result of what was made:  7 foot marquee-style numbers and the centrepieces:






The other decorating was just helium balloons, with these cool little lights that I bought to put inside. The idea was to have them on the ceiling over the dance floor - just kind of suspended there, since I wasn't allowed to put any thing up on the ceiling.  The problem was that the balloons they sent me weren't the ones I ordered.  They were not helium quality balloons so the balloons started falling within 15 minutes of them being filled.  And they kept falling throughout the evening.

It actually looked really cool - I loved it and was kind of excited about it.... having some on the ground, some literally mid-air, and some still on the ceiling.  The lady in charge, however, did not at all like that there were balloons on the ground (tripping hazard or some paranoid garbage like that), so we had to keep gathering them.  Very disappointing.
Whatever the case, it was a great evening and looked rather fabulous, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment