Sunday, December 28, 2014

christmas decorating type stuff

There was some definite lack of enthusiasm with decorating this year.  A lot of "but this tree doesn't have enough branches for all of our ornaments" and "this tree is just plain pathetic" type stuff.  Well, my clever comeback is "whatever".  Very intelligent and inspirational, I know.
Perhaps they had a point.  Perhaps that just means that I shouldn't buy them any more ornaments.  That'll teach them (which reminds me that I should really show which are the new ones and to whom they belong….).  Whatever.  I like the tree.



Maddy was studying for biology while we were decorating.  We'll, I think it was for bio.  It was a while ago!  Eventually she participated.  But barely.  Don't get me wrong…. it's great that she was studying.  But perhaps a brief break was in order.  Priorities!



Cade decided that the area downstairs need a little more of a festive feel, so he took the initiative to put up some lights.  Which I love.  And Lucy was his little elf helper.






More boring studying.  Priorities.

Throughout the next week or two I dabbled with a little more decorating.  I kind of just did some things here and there as the mood hit.  No getting all the decorating done in one day and then be done with it business for me.
This is my favourite little festive area in the house.
My little angry head planter appropriately grew horns.  She looks grumpy all the time - she never smiles.  And now her hens'n'chicks head sprouted two almost perfect horns.  With the kind of attitude she has, doesn't deserve it, but I adorned her anyway.
Lady blue is rather bashful - all the time.  She can't seem to move past it.  But I think it is exaggerated even more now because inside (where her soil is, I suppose) she is very proud of her new look.  She is shy about how beautiful she looks with her wreath of red berries encircling her head.  And rightly so.

Normally this jar is right-side-up, holding various and sundry items, but Christmas is a time to turn things on its head, so-to-speak.  A quite little Christmas tree was just the thing.

The rest of the house was also decorated kind of willy-nilly.  Our very important sign:

We figured that it would be awfully fun to go carolling with a  bunch of people (to spread Christmas cheer, of course) but to have just one person sing at a house - as loud as they possibly could - with everyone else hiding and watching the expression on people's faces when they came to see the lone caroller.  It never happened this year, but it really should sometime.
Glittery JOY letters and random snowflakes looked rather nice on the dark wall.
Cade was very unimpressed with my random hanging of pompom garland on the antlers.  I found it quite charming.  But he doesn't even like the antlers, so it didn't all start off so well anyway.
The garland above them is lighted with those lousy LED lights.  It will not happen again next year.  While they don't look too bad in this photo, the lights basically look like they have been taken out on a whaling boat in the middle of a stormy sea and they are about ready to throw up.

Aslan also was bewreathed (the spell check is telling me that bewreathed is not a word…. what does it know!)
I also put up a "pretty tree" upstairs.  It is my pagan "happy holidays" tree.  Eric figures I could be in serious trouble for using ribbon that says "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas".  I figure that the holidays will be happy because of a merry Christmas….
I also put some extra greenery from our tree chopping day up in the light fixture with a little extra pompom garland.  It didn't last long as we got tired of eating falling pine needles with every meal.
Cade made a little caroller in school out of recycled soda cans.  He could battle the planter-head-ladies for my favourite Christmas decoration.
Maybe this whole favourite business should just be a three-way tie, because take a look at this:
Welcome to Lucy's Christmas room.  Only jolly spirit is allowed!
It also says, on the left side, "no crying" and near the bottom to the left of the yellow monkey, "no being mad".  I just want to say that I don't think she exactly followed these instructions to the letter.  Just wanted to say….

No comments:

Post a Comment