Wednesday, December 31, 2014

finding a dress

Can you believe I am already done Christmas stuff?  No, me neither.  That usually takes me until the end of January to do.  Well - I set a goal and I made it.  Ya, baby!!
Now I just have months worth of other catching up to do!  Sheesh.
We'll keep working backwards…
Way back when, in early December sometime (I think), Glenda and I headed out with our two graduates to find dresses for the big event.  It was a lovely, chilly day with our first real hoar frost since we moved here.  It was rather beautiful.  I was secretly a little sad that I couldn't spend a bit of time taking pictures of the beautiful trees and such.  But only a little sad.  Because, after all, I was with Glenda, Alex and Maddy - a recipe for a good time (and in this case, possibly expensive!)



So off we went to a billion bridal/prom dress stores.  We found some doosies like these:
Alex's is so outlandish that Maddy's looks like nothing in comparison.  This photo was taken illegally, by the way.  No photographing the dresses until you pay for it!  By order of the Queen!  Or something like that.  Actually, I don't think Elizabeth is quite as uptight as these ladies.
We went to quite a few different places, fell in love with a few different dresses, and finally settled on one each.  The problem was cost.  Most of these dresses were in the $500-700 range!!!  Yes, I am serious!  No, they are not getting married!  This is for HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
After a few days of debating, searching, researching and whatnot, we finally decided to take the risk and ordered it online.  We are hoping and praying that this was a good decision - a decision that is saving us almost $120 (and the one Maddy chose was significantly cheaper than most to begin with!)
The dress that she ended up picking is beautifully simple - I love it.  The sample they had in the store was white and it made me almost want to throw up as it almost felt like we were wedding dress shopping!  We are not going there yet!!  Come to think of it, perhaps we should have ordered it in white and we could have saved it for her wedding as well!  I'm sure she would have been delighted with that idea.  Or maybe she would have hated it and disowned me and thrown me to the wolves and boil me in oil….and then gotten mad.  
We did order it in navy and she most definitely will be able to shorten it and wear it to a wedding or something of that nature.  It is classy and beautiful and a little bit "boho" - which is just what she wanted.
Alex found a beautiful dress as well and looks like a princess in it.  It is so fun how two people can be so close but be so different in some things.  Their dresses are completely different and both suit them wonderfully.
After we did a bunch of the dress trying-on, we had lunch at what is now my favourite restaurant in Manitoba (not saying that I get out much):  Stella's (on Portage).  So tasty.  And they have smoked salmon on several dishes, so it really couldn't get much better.
It really was a rather fantastic day.  One that I wasn't super excited about but ended up thoroughly enjoying.  I'm pretty excited about all of the graduation festivities, although not too pumped about the end result: Maddy heading off into unknown lands (or whatever) and leaving us.
I can't even go there in my mind yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment