Wednesday, December 10, 2014

christmas house

We have been very blessed with a fairly mild winter so far.  Well, except for the week that Eric was away in California visiting family.  Then it was pretty miserable.  I'm sure he selfishly prayed for crappy weather for us so he could enjoy his time in the sunny-state more.  Anyway, decorating the house for Christmas was a pretty easy and relatively enjoyable task.
I got to bust out some of the decorations that I've been keeping for a long, long time.
The double wreaths I hung up indoors in our house in California for several years.  The large sleigh is a new purchase from a garage sale this summer, and the one pair of skis is from the thrift store last year (the other skis are from Opa, which makes them that much more special).  All the scarves and skates are from years gone by as well.
(if you look at the thin window beside the front door, you just may see the cutest boy known to mankind, wrapped up in a blue blanket, starring out the window)
The garlands have white lights on them and sadly the only thing that shows at night.  I like a pretty, lit house, but that doesn't happen, unfortunately.  And now, actually, the garland is gone too.  A few windy nights and one section came down.  Eric reattached.  Another windy night while he was gone, and another section came down.  So in order to save my marriage (and my sanity) I just ripped them down.
I had a fabulous time while he was putting them up though.  He took out the extension ladder and as soon as I heard that noise of the metal being pulled out, I burst into laughter.  It made me think of Christmas vacation when Clark is putting up the lights.  Every time he moved the ladder I would laugh.  No words needed to be said - just the sound of the ladder was enough!
My children would be happy if I also ripped the double wreaths down.  And I don't blame them.  When the wind blows, they made a creepy scratching sound on the windows - not fun when you are trying to fall asleep, even if you know what it is!  I'm making them tough it out until Christmas, I think.  It'll build their character.  Next year they'll go back inside.


Someone wanted to be in the picture as well….
Surprisingly, everything else has stayed up, even with the wind.  
I still hope that maybe next Christmas we'll have some actual lights on the house, but I ain't holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment