Monday, November 3, 2014

the neighbourhood

It is time to do some catching up.  The next little while I've got to get on all the stuff I missed back in September and October!  All the stuff from after our move and starting work and school - when all the chaos hit full force.  
Things have slowed down a lot in the department related to this blog post.  Partly it is the weather, partly it is the busyness of everyone else's kids and partly it is just our kids being homebodies, I supposed.  The department to which I am referring is that of neighbour kids.
When we first moved in, we had kids over all the time.  All the time.  They were always here.  And we loved it.  I hope it kicks in again some more.  It is so fun to be the house where the kids are and I really, really hope that starts again soon.  Maybe we were just novel and the novelty wore off quickly!
Well, here are some pictures of the kids anyway.



There are a lot of kids on our street/court/cul de sac (Canadian for court!) that same age as our kids, so that is pretty cool.  We love it and are so thankful for it.

We really do want to get to know our neighbours and getting to know them through the kids is a good way to start.  And I have to keep in mind that is what it is: a start.  We are doing what we can to build a bit of community here.  We talked the other day about making an ice rink in our front yard but we aren't sure now how possible it would be.  We'll have to see.  We would do it in the backyard but then it isn't as "open to the public".  The front yard is tricky because it is windy (not much shelter) and the front yard is sloped.  It would be a lot more work.  I still think it is worth a shot, but I know I won't be the one doing all the work for it, so it may be best to keep my mouth shut about it!
There are 13 houses on our street and out of those 12 other houses, one family welcomed us to the neighbourhood when we moved in.  One.  But, she did give us some of the most wonderful cinnamon buns ever!  That definitely made up for a few of the not-so-welcoming houses!  
Yes, they were as good as they looked!

No comments:

Post a Comment